Good News: HPS Shows Promise with New Scores!

Good News: HPS Shows Promise with New Scores!
Posted on 09/02/2016
adell

Hickory Public Schools

432 4th Avenue, SW

Hickory, North Carolina 28602

 

PRESS RELEASE

TO:  
All Area Media

FROM: 
Director of Communications, Beverly Snowden
Hickory Public Schools, 828.322.2855, ext. 250

SUBJECT: Student Academic Growth Shows Promise at HPS

DATE: September 1, 2016

Students’ Academic Growth Shows Promise at HPS

HICKORY…The NC State Board of Education released the READY accountability results today. These scores reflect the fourth year of the READY accountability model with its strong focus on career and college readiness and high standards.

The release announced great news for Hickory Public Schools. The district, under the leadership of Dr. Robbie Adell, superintendent (for the past school year), is no longer considered a “low-performing” school district.

“We are not deemed a low-performing district and this is wonderful news for Hickory Public Schools! It is the work of our teachers and their dedication that has turned this around,” said Adell. “We have five (5) schools of the nine (9) in our district to increase by one letter grade. Jenkins Elementary and Northview Middle Schools increased from a C to a B; and Longview Elementary, Viewmont Elementary School and Hickory Career and Arts Magnet High School all increased from a D to a C.

“We observed elevation throughout Hickory Public Schools – as we continue to make great strides due to quality teaching and quality school leadership,” said Adell.

“We have reason to celebrate, but we still have a lot of work to do. We will keep the momentum moving forward as we work for even better results next year.

“As the 2016-2017 school year started, teachers did not waste any time with teaching. They jumped right to the curriculum working with every student on the first day of school,” said Adell.

“The narrowing of the achievement gap between our students is a priority. We are currently adding another layer to our closely monitored data walls of individualized student achievement.  Hickory Public Schools will closely monitor growth by class, by grade, by gender, by race and by school.”

The school performance letter grades do not tell the complete stories of student success.  Growth has occurred for numerous students at each of the district’s nine schools. If it’s transparency that the public seeks, then a closer examination of what actually happens behind the four walls of a classroom trumpets volumes of success.

  • Hickory Public Schools is a diverse school district with approximately 43 percent of the enrollment representing Caucasian students and the remaining 57 percent representing African American, Hispanic, Asian and other.  In fact, nearly 30 different languages are spoken by families with children who attend Hickory Public Schools.
  • The graduation rate for Hickory Public Schools continues to climb with the most recent rate at 84.7 percent.
  • Graduating seniors from Hickory Public Schools have earned more than $16 million in collective scholarships over the past three years. HPS graduates continue to experience success in competitive colleges and universities, the military and the workforce.
  • Technology has expanded at every school with multiple devices available for teacher and student use. Curriculum and lessons frequently incorporate technology.
  • Art, band, orchestra and chorus continue to be recognized with superior ratings—while athletic teams have won conferences and state titles.
  • High school students are offered balanced academic opportunities to enhance their path to career and college readiness—including classes in the International Baccalaureate (IB) program, Advanced Placement (AP) and career academies that provide college credit.
  • And Hickory Public Schools has frequently been recognized on a national level for excellent achievements representative of the faculty, staff and most importantly, the students.  The district’s schools create small learning communities in which mutually respectful relationships support all students’ intellectual, ethical and social growth.

####

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2019 West Corporation. All rights reserved.