Lateral Entry Information

Prospective teachers that already hold at least a Bachelor's degree from a Regionally Accredited University/College but have not completed a teacher education program may qualify to teach via the lateral entry process. Please click below to review the qualifications for a lateral entry license:

Qualifications for a Lateral Entry License

Listed below are several options for new lateral entry candidates to pursue completing coursework requirements for lateral entry:

Option One: Enroll in licensure program with a college/university that offers a licensure program specific to your lateral entry licensure area (ex – Middle Grades Science)

Option Two: Submit an application to the Regional Accredited Licensure Center (RALC) – this is free. The website is:

Option Three: Submit an application to the NC INSPIRE program (focused on EC, math, and science candidates). The website is: (***If you are considering this option, please contact them ASAP as spots are filling quickly.)